Tips & Tricks
Mac won't fully start up in OSX - Click here
Your Mac won't turn on - Covered Here
Your Mac computer displays no video - Click here
Won't Even Turn On
If your Macintosh computer
won't turn on, here's how to troubleshoot it. Please keep in
mind that although your computer may display similar symptoms
that prevent it from showing video, this article discusses what
to do if the computer won't turn on, meaning that when you press
the power button:
· You don't hear a startup chime
· You don't hear any fan or drive noise
· The power button or power indicator doesn't light up
If your computer doesn't display any video, it may display one
or more of these similar symptoms when you press the power button:
· You may hear a startup chime
· You may hear fan or drive noise
· You may see the power button or power indicator light
If any of these conditions occurs, see the Troubleshooting:
My computer has no video article instead.
Servers, Portable Computers,
If your computer won't
turn on, try each of these steps:
1. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall
outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter.
(To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other
2. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to
the power port on the back of the computer.
3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer,
such as a printer, hub, or iPod.
4. Reset the computer's PMU or PRAM.
· For a portable (iBook or PowerBook), click
here for instructions.
· For a Mac mini, click
· For an iMac, click
· For a Power Mac, click
· For a Mac Pro click
· For a MacBook or MacBook Pro, click
· For any other computer,
click here for instructions on resetting the PRAM.
5. Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if
you have a working one available). If the computer starts up,
replace the old power cord. You can get a replacement cord for
some models at the Marin Mac Shop, C Street, San Rafael
6. If the computer uses a power adapter, try connecting a different
power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available).
If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter. (Computers
that use a power adapter include MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBooks,
PowerBooks, Power Mac G4 Cube, and Mac mini.)
7. If you tried all of the steps above and the computer still
won't turn on, contact Miss Mac.